Sunday, January 14, 2018

Is Rain a Treat or an Annoyance for You?

Mara here:

It's been raining for a couple of days and, in Southern California, rain is always welcomed.

Don't get me wrong, it's problematic in many ways. People in Los Angeles do not know how to drive in the rain. The roads get dangerously slick from built up oil, yet people refuse to slow down to accommodate the slippery roads.

There also seems to be no functioning water drainage in most of the city, so after about a minute of rain all the intersections are flooded in at least a foot of water.

But we need the rain. And after the awful fires we recently had, we desperately needed the rain to clear away the residual ash that covered everything. (Unfortunately, it's also led to deadly mudslides in some of the fire zones.)

That said, the fact is: rain makes me happy. I love rain. I love cloudy weather. I love the mysterious dark tinge to the skies. I love the smell of the moist air. I love the feel of raindrops. I love way the filtered light changes the colors of the trees and the flowers. I love the cool temperature.

Yes, I love rainy weather.

But some people hate it. Some people want only sunshine. Some people love to feel the heat. For some people, cloudy skies make them depressed, or rain means that they won't be able to do whatever outside activity they had planned.

I suppose because I've lived in California most of my life, I have the luxury to love the rain. We don't get it that often, so it's not something that regularly disrupts our lives.

And for the that same reason, rain has always been a special treat to me. I'm sure if I lived in an area where it rained a lot I wouldn't find it as charming. I will admit that trying to load a cart full of groceries into my car in the rain is not a treat. And having to bring the garbage cans up from the curb in the rain is not a treat. And getting mail and packages that are soggy and sometimes damaged is not a treat.

But, for me, jogging in the rain is a treat. And being curled up in bed, listening to the sounds of the raindrops tapping against the window is a treat. And seeing flowers covered in raindrops is a treat. And being able to throw on a fluffy sweater and pull on my rain boots is a treat.

For me, the rain is soothing; it's calming. In fact, even though I know the science of weather and why it rains, I can't help but feel that water (or snow for the few times I've experienced it) falling from the sky is a miracle.

Again, before you roll your eyes at me because I sound ridiculous, remember it only rains a couple of times a year where I live. Mostly we're plagued with drought. And, although the sunny skies of Southern California are beautiful and make things easy, it does start to feel monotonous after a while. All the days feel the same.

But rain feels so different. And because it's something different for our area, it always reminds me that life isn't the same for very long. And it's not predictable. And even when the rain is inconvenient, it's a reminder that I don't control the world around me. So I try to sit back and enjoy it.

And when I'm particularly lucky and have nothing imperative planned on a day that it's raining, the rain gives me an excuse to treat myself to a couple of hours curled up in a comforter to watch a movie, cozy in bed. In those moments, I appreciate the warmth and protection of my house. I open the blinds so I can see the rain as it hits the magnolia tree outside my window. The cats often keep me company, fascinated by the drops of water as they trickle down the window.

Toni here:

Once again, my answer to the question posed in the title of this piece has been affected by being chronically ill and mostly housebound for over 16 years. Before that, rain was a necessary annoyance to me. Now I love it. My days are so much the same that rain is a special treat—just like it is for Mara—even though we get more rain in northern California than she does in southern California.

If I'm not too sick on a rainy day, I'll even bundle up and take an umbrella into the backyard, sit in a chair and throw the ball for my dog (using one of those Chuck-Its). I never would have done that when I was healthy! But now, I love the sound of the rain on the umbrella and, like Mara, I love the smell of the moist air, and the dark sky and the way the rain changes the colors of the trees in my yard. It may sound silly, but sitting out in back in the rain is like going to a movie for me!

So what about you? Do you love the rain like Mara and I do? Or do you prefer the sun?


Picture of Mara trying to jog across a rain flooded intersection near her house.



4 comments:

  1. We had rain recently on top of 16" of snow and below 0' temps...the 50' temps that went with the rain caused flooding, and ice jams that caused more flooding...then we had a flash freeze,,,Rain in the winter is not a good thing. Love to fall asleep at night in the summer listening to the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, freezing rain is tough. I guess that doesn't occur to me since we never have that problem in Southern California! Stay safe and warm! --M

      Delete
  2. We love the rare rain because, here in Oklahoma, what we usually get is a fierce thunderstorm. My father taught my brother and me to dance in the gentle rains of late summer and to count between lightning and thunder to calm us during terrifying thunderstorms. This is very comforting philosophy for me now. As a chronically ill person, I prefer the sunshine. Fortunately, we get lots of this in Oklahoma; we even regularly enjoy rain while the sun shines. The sky is big here, really big, and the trees laugh. People sit on their porches quite a bit and watch the spectacle. We have a big picture window, and at dinner we watch people biking and dog-walking, and we make up nicknames for the regulars. I suppose you might say we are easily entertained. But Oklahoma is not known for its beauty, so the lifers are those of us who have learned to look very hard for the beautiful, and to be grateful when we see it, and to show the children. Living in Oklahoma sort of prepared me for being chronically ill. That sounds terrible, but it's just that I'm used to working hard for my fix of joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thunderstorms are so amazing! I lived in VA for a few years and our first thunderstorm completely terrified me. We were living near high rise buildings and we spent the night watching lighting hit the buildings around us. And the downpours that come out of nowhere! That was definitely an experience. But there is something so beautiful about the time right after it stops. It really is beautiful to experience. --M

      Delete