Sunday, December 23, 2018

Christmas Presents and Wishes

Mara here:

Just a quick update. We are moved. Everything went as smoothly as a move could go, but it's been a crazy few days. I think after the weekend, we'll be in pretty good shape. And it's nice that things will be manageable for Christmas.

Christmas in a new house.

We didn't plan the move with much forethought. Had we put any planning into the idea of a house move, I don't think we would have chosen right around the holidays to do it.

But now that we have (almost) survived it, I'm glad that we did it when we did.

It feels like the right time.

I think having Christmas in the new house will be the perfect way to really make it feel like ours. It's the perfect way to make our house into a home.

Yes, having to pack presents and box them and move them into a new house was a pain. And yes, trying to cook a Christmas dinner in a kitchen where we are unfamiliar with the appliances will also make things more difficult.

Christmas always feels like a whirlwind regardless of what else is happening. This year is no different.

But by the end of Christmas day, we will have had a whole day of special family memories in our new home. What has up to now a little bit felt like a house that we were borrowing, will finally feel like ours.

So I am glad it all worked out the way it did. I couldn't have asked for a better Christmas present.

Christmas is one of my favorite times of year. I know it sounds cliché, but when November rolls around, I start to feel festive. The weather cools off—the brutal heat of summer lifts along with my spirits and along with the happiness I feel when I get back into sweaters and cozy pajamas, I start to think about Christmas. 

It's probably somewhat culturally programmed into me to look forward to Christmas. After all, who doesn't like getting presents? Just like Halloween is associated with candy, Christmas is associated with getting things.  But now that I'm older, while presents are still exciting, it's definitely more about thinking about what makes people happy. I enjoy taking the time to think about things I can do to make my friends and family feel a little more joyful.

And even though I know I could send people warm wishes all year around, I tend to be more generous with my thoughts around Christmas. My spirits are more buoyant and I take extra time to wish people well.

As I get older, my focus is definitely less on presents and the commercial side of Christmas. I spend more time appreciating the little acts of kindness that I see. And I spend a lot more energy on sending people positive thoughts and hoping their Christmas wishes come true. 

If I could, I would gift everyone—people who do and don't celebrate Christmas—a wonderful day. 

And I wish all our blog readers a very Merry Christmas. 

For my mother, who is Jewish but was raised celebrating Hanukkah and Christmas, I asked her if her feelings about Christmas have changed as she gets older:

Now that you have grown children, how has Christmas changed for you and dad?

It's changed a lot. I love your Christmas spirit Mara even though, as you know, Dad and I have never been great "celebrators" of holidays. We like to give gifts any time of year that feels right, not just on designated days. We've always been a bit goofy like that.

When you were growing up here, we tried to make Christmas a special day. We did our best even though, as I said, we're not big celebrators of any of the holidays. And so we decorated a Christmas tree and filled stockings and opened presents on Christmas morning and cooked a special meal. And I always lit the menorah for the eight days of Hanukkah.

Is still light the menorah. We did as I was growing up and I love the tradition. But we don't get a Christmas tree anymore, and sometimes Dad and I agree not to give each other presents so that we can make charitable contributions instead and spend some of that saved money of you and your brother and your families. We do have a Christmas dinner. Our friend Richard usually comes over and, this year, our goddaughter, Jessica will be coming too.

But it will be a quiet day except for one thing: I can't wait to open the present that's sitting in the living room from both you and your brother! I don't think you've ever given us a joint gift, so that will a treat to open.

I'm excited for you to spend Christmas in your new home. And I hope that all our readers who celebrate Christmas have a wonderful time and eat heartily on Tuesday!









2 comments:

  1. Happy Holidays to you both and to your families. Happy New House!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gram!!! Merry Christmas to you!!! XOXO-M

      Delete